Contributors

Thursday, January 31, 2013

DIY - Duct Tape Hair Bows!

I love arts and crafts. LOVE. Living in an apartment, I don't have as much space to store my supplies as I'd like, but I'm making do. I have a few shoe boxes filled with paints and brushes and all the other good stuff.  (That's my tip of the day for you - shoe boxes. I know you have a bunch lying around.) I recently realized I have an overabundance of duct tape. I'm not ashamed at all, okay?
Guys...this is SOME of my duct tape. I have like a bajillion more rolls.
Note: I stocked up on some extra when Michael's was having
it's 2 rolls for $8 sale (they usually run for about $ 5 a roll).
Always check your craft store's weekly ad to see what's on sale! 

What can I do with all the duct tape? Round one = HAIR ACCESSORIES.

To start, cut a strip of tape double the length you want you bow to be. (So if you want a 4" bow, you need 8" of tape.)

Fold it in half, so you now have no stickiness, and all color showing.

I lost the picture of folding in half. Hopefully that is very self explanatory. If it isn't, I'm only a little sorry.
Accordion fold your rectangle and then pinch the center.

Take a small piece of duct tape (it can be the same color as before, or a complimenting color) and wrap that bit around the center of the bow, securing the shape.


You can use any kind of hair accessory you want - barrette, snap clip, bobby pin, etc. I used a bobby pin since I have a bunch lying around. Of course you could attach this with hot glue, but duct tape will do the job and HEY YOU ALREADY HAVE SOME DUCT TAPE!

I slid a piece of tape in between the two "claws" and then taped it to the center of the bow. If you're going to wrap that piece of tape more than once, remember not to tape over the "outer" "claw", but to slip it between once again.
Now it's time to WEAR IT!
Guys, it's really hard to take a picture of the back of your own head. I have like, 20 pictures on my phone of various parts of my head/back/floor that don't even show the bow.  

I picked this pattern solely for the colors - RAVENS PRIDE! I'll most definitely sport this bow this weekend during all Super Bowl festivities.


I originally saw this tutorial here. Julia has more step-by-step pictures than I do, if you need more explanation.


If you try this tutorial, or make any kind of cool duct tape accessory, tweet me a pic (@meliswein) or email me (undiagnosedspaz@gmail.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment