Contributors

Monday, July 23, 2012

The One About Phoebe's Songs

After searching on a variety of fan sites for the # of songs Phoebe sings during FRIENDS ten year run, I can best gather that she sang 40+ different songs and mentioned at least 10 more.

I started thinking about this when I rewatched the episode where Phoebe sings at the children's center. The kids love her because she's "the lady that tells the truth", and for the same reason the parents hate her. Also, take a second to appreciate that Tahj Mowry appears in this ep. 
Now, because this is really fun and I'm really bored, I am going to dissect some of the songs featured in the aforementioned episode, as well as some of my favorite Phoebe songs. 

There'll be times when you get older                                      
And you'll want to sleep with people                                       
Just to make them like you                                                    
But DON'T                                                                         
Cause that's another thing that you don't wanna do
That's another thing that you don't wanna do
This is spot on. Do not sleep with people to make them like you. Only sleep with them to cure boredom. It is a proven fact that sex cures boredom. (Just kidding, I made that up. Please don't quote me in your prestigious articles. Yes, I have high hopes that people of prestigious-article-writing -levels read my blog.)


Sometimes men love women
And sometimes men love men
Then there are bi-sexuals
Though some just say they're kidding themselves
La-la-la-la-la-la...
This is just as relevant now as it was when the episode originally aired in 1996. And a very simple way to teach children. Notice that there is no judgement of any particular scenario. 


Now grandma's a person who everyone likes
She brought you a train and a bright shiny bike
But lately she hasn't been coming to dinner
And last time you saw her she looked so much thinner.
Now your mom and your dad said she moved to Peru,
But the truth is she died and someday you will too
La-la-la-la-la...
I would cry hysterically if someone sang this song to me. Also, what a cool grandma to just pick it all up and move to Peru! If only it were true...


...And the crusty old man said "I'll do what I can"              
And the rest of the rats played maracas                             
If all rats were like the ones in this song I wouldn't be so terrified of them. Also, I wonder what this song is about. What is a crusty old man?


Crazy underwear creeping up my butt
Crazy underwear always in a rut
Crazy underwear...
No need to call it crazy underwear. Underwear in general. Creepin' up my butt. I hate it. No. No. 


...dumb drunken b*tch!!                                                 
This might be about me. And most of my friends. 






What are your favorite Phoebe songs? Let me know in the comments!



Also, write more questions for the next "Ten On Tuesday"!



No comments:

Post a Comment