Contributors

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I like spilling. No. I like spelling.

When I was in elementary school my mom was helping me study for my spelling test. She has reminded me that there were some really difficult words on the list, none of which I now know how to spell, but I knew them very well at the time. As I prepped my piece of paper, I asked mom how to spell...."spelling".

I'm not the best speller. I'll admit I rely a lot on the squiggly red line, but I also know how to sound things out. Because, you know, I'm an adult.

What really bothers me is when people are on the computer, typing an email, and ask me how to spell something. You're on the computer with the internet - look it up. Or, you know, you probably have a dictionary app on your super cool smart phone. 

Recently I've been asked how to spell the following:

Surprise
Command
Committed
Acceptance
Approximate

I'm really tempted to start telling people the wrong spelling. Like, throwing a "D" into the middle of a word and when the person looks sur(d)prised, I'd tell them it's a silent "D" that's always been there. Like Wednesday!

Also, my obsessive tv watching as a child (and as an adult) has really helped me spell difficult words. 
 
Matilda and Ms. Honey taught me Difficulty
Arthur taught me Aardvark
Full House and Danny Tanner taught me Success
 
Really, I'm just excited about aardvark. It's one of those words I'll probably never need to use, but I can if I need to!

No comments:

Post a Comment