Contributors

Monday, July 16, 2012

A Case of Mistaken Identity


About a week ago I received a voicemail message telling me my failure to pay my gas and electric bill in the state of Maryland, despite many phone calls and mail reminders, had resulted in an upcoming court appearance.

This caught me off guard. I've never been the "registered" bill payer on anything in the state of Maryland. I never got phone calls or mail reminders. And the biggest thing that confused me?  My name is most certainly not Michael Cornin. Or Michael Clone. Or Michael anything. I couldn't totally make out the last name, but I'm sure they said Michael and I'm sure that's not my name. 

So I called the company to tell them I was not Michael, I did not know Michael, and they should probably call him to tell him he had to appear in court. The woman told me she's only in the phone receiving center, not the phone calling center, and there was no way for her to look up "Michael's" information and remove my phone number. 



BGE = Baltimore Gas and Electric

Dear Michael,

If you are reading this and your name is Michael and you live in the state of Maryland and have not paid your gas/electric bill in some time, take this as your heads up that some lady who can call you, but who you cannot call back, is looking for you to give you your court date.
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Best wishes for staying debt free,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment