Contributors

Friday, July 6, 2012

abcdeFGjlmnqrz and my NYC subway journey

I write this as I sit on the LIRR to visit family. This morning I left Brooklyn at 7:45am at a station that has both the F and G trains. I wanted the F train. I forgot/didn't know that both trains arrive on the same track and you have to look at which one you're boarding. Can you tell where this is going?

I got on the first train that arrived. It was G but I didn't know at at the time. For both the F and G trains the first 4 stops are the same. I then continued 4 more stops on the G, which is now separate from F train, until I saw the girl next to me checking the station list on her ipad. I realized my stop wasn't listed. She helped me and then laughed. So I had to go back 4 stops and wait for the F train. A 45 minute trip into midtown Manhattan turned into an hour and a half of utter confusion.

When I think back I should have realized I was on the wrong train. I couldn't figure out why the train was so empty during rush hour on a Friday.

Finally getting on the correct train, it was very crowded. That made more sense, but I was still overwhelmed.

I made it into the city and then couldn't find Penn Station. I asked two people, neither of whom spoke English. One woman thought I was asking where Pennsylvania was. Then I found Penn and got on the train. Incase you need to know, Penn Station is in fact still in NYC and I did not need to drive to Pennsylvania.

When I venture back this evening I am taking a cab from Penn to Brooklyn. I am too directionally challenged to deal with this type of stress twice in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment