Contributors

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

SUPERBOWL

I was lucky enough to get to go to Superbowl XLVII (Also known as the Harbaugh Bowl, or the Harbowl, I've decided to call it Blackout Bowl 2013. If I'm feeling extra weird I'll call it Ray's Winning Everything Bowl. Taylor Swift* is calling it Sports Ball.) in New Orleans, Louisiana to watch my beloved Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49ers.

It was my first time in New Orleans and let me tell you, it is everything I hoped it wouldn't be (in the sense that it was everything I always thought it would be...and more). It was during Mardi Gras, so on top of the crazed football fans in town for the big game, there were a lot of topless ladies.

I walked Bourbon Street aka Drunk Road. My 12 year old cousin so aptly said "Of course the people there are drunk. It's call BOURBON." I'm not worried that he knows what Bourbon is. I'm worried if he knows what it tastes like.

Then of course, it was SUPERBOWL TIME. Holy moly grand canoli it was amazing. What was really neat, was that everyone attending the game was just so thankful that one, their team was playing, and two, they they were lucky enough to get tickets, that no one was really trash talking. Sure, people we're competitive, but no one was shunning another. I thought that was cool. I'm sure you're thinking that's really lame.

I got to see a few people I hadn't seen in 5+ years. The best was one of the guys saying "Hey, maybe the Ravens can go to the Superbowl again so we can see each other!"

By now I'm sure you know the Ravens won by the smallest margin, after giving up a 22 point lead in the 3rd Quarter. I'm sure you also know that there was a blackout...a 34 minute blackout. What you probably don't know is that I didn't even realize it at first. I'm not oblivious. I was on the side of the stadium that kept power. All 72,000+ of us engaged in the wave. I also met the nice man next to me. His name was Wade. I hugged him so so tight when we won. There is a small possibility that his name was John.

Baseball season is soon, y'all. Pitchers and Catchers reported yesterday. Everyone else reports tomorrow. REPORT!


*Again, not the real  T Swift. It's a code name.

No comments:

Post a Comment