Contributors

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Time I Changed My Name...

Most of you probably know my name. It's Melissa. A lot of my close friends and family call me Lis. When I was in 7th grade my mom told me the following story:

"When you were around two years old we were at the grocery store. I kept calling you 'Lis' and a woman must have though I said 'Liz' so she said 'Oh Elizabeth is so cute!'"

Upon hearing this story, I decided that I wanted to be called Liz.

Seriously.

I told my friends this and some of them complied. On the sign-in board at my Bat Mitzvah, my friend Angie addressed me as Liz.  I'm sure a lot of people thought she was stupid, and maybe even thought I had invited someone who wasn't as good of a friend as I had thought.  In reality, she was one of my closest friends at the time. So close, that she actually agreed to call me Liz.  There's also the possibility she thought I was delusional and was just...helping? push me further into delirium.

As a general piece of advice, please do not call me Liz.  I'll respond to it, but I won't like it. Same goes for "Mel".







No comments:

Post a Comment